The Junior Officials Program is available for teens from ages 14-18. This program will teach valuable life skills such as conflict resolution, team building, decision making and communication. Participants will receive intensive instruction in the playing rules and "how" to be a referee. Upon completion of the program, graduates will be paired with a mentor that will work actual games with the candidate and provide immediate feedback. There are 3 seasons of training available: basketball in the fall/winter, baseball/softball in the spring/summer, and football/soccer/volleyball in the summer fall. Candidates can only complete 1 sport at a time. The program is FREE and graduates will be paid game fees when their season begins
Click below to view a video of the winter JOP experience.
Orientation - Meet & Greet Session
Introduction of staff and discussion of visions and goals.
· Tuesday, February 5th, 6 pm, City Hall, Council Chambers Room, 433 Hay Street
Level 100 – Life Skills (Candidates must attend 2 out of 3 sessions)
Sessions include active participation lessons in conflict resolution, communication, problem solving & much more!
· Tuesday, February 12th, 6-7pm, City Hall, 433 Hay Street
· Wednesday, February 20th, 6-7pm, College Lakes Recreation Center, 4945 Rosehill Road
· Saturday, March 2nd, 9am-12pm, Pechmann Fishing Center, 7489 Raeford Road
Level 200 – Game Day Procedures (Candidates must attend)
· Saturday, March 9th, 9-11am, Massey Hill Recreation Center, 1612 Camden Road
· Saturday, March 16th, 9-11 am, College Lakes Recreation Center, 4945 Rosehill Road
· Instruction to include:
o Utilizing the scorebook
o Game – day scenarios
o Game video instructions & application
Level 300 – Live Game Application (Candidates must attend)
· Wednesday, March 20th, 6-8 pm, Site TBD
· Wednesday, March 27th, 6-7 pm, Informational Baseball & Softball Meetings, Kiwanis Recreation Center, 352 Devers Street
· Saturday, April 6th, 9-11pm, Site E Melvin Honeycutt Elementary
o Participants will apply practical game-day scorekeeping knowledge during scrimmages.
o Session to include on field scorekeeping as well as classroom review.
o Classroom review to include assessment of application of skills, questions & answer regarding scorebook and live game scenarios.